While Biome4Kids has been around for a little while, we are just getting started again with updated programming and on a new server named Hedwig. Biome4Kids has a lot of different places to explore and things to learn. Biome4Kids is just that - a world just for kids whether on their own or with their school classes. There are many good ways to learn using virtual worlds and we plan on having all sorts of ways here in our world. Besides that, it's just fun.
Some of the things we have right now are islands dedicated to various exciting environments:
Biome4Kids is the home island is the island where you first land and where you make your avatar after making an account (see the instructions page).
Biome is the home island for the Biome4Kids Mainland. It has places just to hang out, gather, meet in a bigger group and it also has more avatars.
We have four educational islands all built around the idea of Earth Systems Science. This idea stresses that you can learn about the Earth best when you look at different aspects or "spheres" that all interact.
- Biosphere is a place where you can learn about the forests of the earth. You can visit the treehouse. It makes a great classroom too.
- Geosphere is an island with a volcano and other fun geology-based areas and activities.You can even have class in the bottom of the ocean.
- Atmosphere is where you can learn about the weather. Check out the huge weather map you can walk on. Put in a pin for your place. There's a flying saucer classroom there. You'll have to use the teleporter and let the aliens "beam you up".
- Hydrosphere is where the water is represented. There is a giant microscope with common pond critters for you to study, a wetlands, a river, and a very fun coral reef where you can explore (you can't drown here) or meet in the submarine.
On top of all that, there are two more islands just for fun:
- Seaborgia is a place with an underground maze and above ground places to explore. A pyramid, a castle, a hobbit house and a crystal cave are some of the places you can visit.
- Imaginaria is where you can learn to build and practice all your building skills. Be sure to pick up your items. Oh, and give them a name so if they end up back in your inventory you can find them again.
I will be scheduling regular activities and online "office hours" but, of course, you can visit anytime. Come learn, play, and have fun.